Friday, May 17, 2024 9:13:44 AM

Making progress!

4 years ago
#645 Quote
I have been looking for some hefty wood for the dashboard and the top of the footwell box, sadly to no avail.  Local timber merchants only have thin stuff and to order a larger thickness is very expensive.... I was getting desperate..... so I started asking every one and bingo a chap said he had some 50 year old stuff from his house, stair case rails...... 10 inches by 1 and 1/8.  I went to look and was delighted they were painted but lovely straight grained South American hardwood.  I got cracking and had to burn the paint off which left a white layer of a material that was used in the time to control sap and knots. That was very difficult to remove.... it wrecked the electric planer and filled the sanding belts with a substance like plasticine.... eventually it was off and I could begin construction.  Here is the dashboard..... I had great fun with nails and string drawing the ellipse shapes and then got busy with jigsaw and sander to make the shapes.... a whizz round with the router and there it stood. The central metal plate that holds the instruments is tatty so I will have to repair it or make a new one. A few days of French polishing and it will be ready to fit..... won't be long now! Posted by FLYJCW 16/07/2019 18:06:51
4 years ago
#646 Quote
John,  You must be so proud. It looks magnificent. Well done.    Richard Melbourne Posted by RichardWallach 17/07/2019 21:12:36
4 years ago
#647 Quote
Thanks Richard I am pleased but is just another job!!  However it was more fun and looks better than many other jobs! Posted by FLYJCW 18/07/2019 09:54:19