Friday, May 17, 2024 9:56:28 AM

TE21. Distributor.

one year ago
#2799 Quote
Seemed like a good idea to clean and set the points - but when I turned the key the engine refused to start. After a lot of fruitless effort I went back to basics. With the ignition switched on I in turn disconnected ( ie pulled off Lucar connectors) the lead to the coil (positive terminal in my positive earthed car); the lead on tge negative terminal of the coil and the other end of that low tension lead that supply’s the distributor; and finally the lead to the points. All have a spark so I knew that power was getting to the points. Next, still with the ignition switched on, I flipped the points open. This time there was no spark, meaning that the points were the problem. I actually removed the distributor from the car so that I could inspect it - and it’s easier to make sure tge points are fitted correctly with the distributor on the bench. After refitting the distributor I again checked for a spark at the contacts: and was rewarded by a big fat spark!
Gap set to .015” and cap back on and it started first time.
Notes.
(1) Examining the old points I could see on the underside of the moving contact a shiny area on the metal fixing bracket / which protruded below the fibre material to short out tge points to Earth.
(2) Check that the moving contact does move freely on the post if it’s a two part points set; or moves freely if it’s a one piece item ( some do not)
(3) Be aware that if you do remove the distributor that it’s possible to refit it 180 degrees out. If you do end up doing this tge engine will not fire no matter how fat tge spark - so make a careful note of the rotor arm position and do NOT rotate the engine whilst the distributor is out!! Also make sure when re-fitting tge distributor that you very slightly rotate the top of the shaft back and forth to ensure that the drive engages fully.
(4) Check engine timing. 10 degrees BTDC for TE.
Tudor.
one year ago
#2801 Quote
good advice. Thank you