Friday, May 17, 2024 12:17:25 PM

Steering wheel electrics

3 years ago
#2700 Quote
I have taken the adv RTD lever off the tube at the bottom and the additional split bolted clamp is loose with a small screw driver wedged in to slightly increase the clearance and expected to then slide the loose central tube complete with plastic horn and control surround into the car cabin. Twists beautifully but will not come out and its not the wiring which is fouling - stuck in like I have missed something that allows the tubes to turn but not pull out.

Anyone explain this mystery or anyone actually managed to get their tube and electrics out?

In the middle of a complete rewire and thought I would do the job properly as it came with the cables! However the dip switch does not seem to have any cables going to it anyway so it has to come out to check operation.
3 years ago
#2701 Quote
Hi Quentin,
I think from memory there are small grub screws round the outside of the wheel centre which stop the whole centre and stator tube pulling our inside the car. There is a circular plate which sits behind the screws. If you find and slacken them it should just come out.
The dip switch has one wire which earths out on operation to operate the solenoid in the nearside headlamp.  
I fitted a changeover relay in place of the solenoid and double dip LED bulbs switched by the relay. If you want more on that I can give you more detail.
Peter Milne
peter.j.milne@btinternnet.com.
3 years ago
#2703 Quote
Sorted and out, Cleaned and polished and rewired and waiting to go back in now. Many thanks.