Friday, May 17, 2024 9:56:30 AM

TA 21 Engine Heat

4 years ago
#2629 Quote
With the advent of warm weather, we have been uncomfortably hot in the passenger compartment of our TA 21 saloon. Has anyone solved this problem by facing the engine bulkhead, gearbox tunnel and floorboards with reflective or other heat-insulation materials? Posted by Cavendish51 10/07/2019 10:47:40
4 years ago
#2630 Quote
Simon, He is Melbourne summer temperatures are quite often in the mid 30's. With my TA21 all I needed to do was to put insulating material under each front carpet. Nothing was needed on the bulkhead or transmission tunnel. In my case the heat issue was more exhaust pipe based than engine based. You can try a heat shield between the pipes and the floorboards if you have sufficient space to create an airflow.   Richard Melbourne Posted by RichardWallach 11/07/2019 10:13:41
4 years ago
#2632 Quote
Ernest's comments are very relevant especially when the original exhaust system was in place. Unfortunately the life of the system was relatively short and today who knows what is in place and in particular how closely mounted the pipes are to the floor. Ernest is quite correct with respect to possible charring hence the fibro cement sheeting under the passenger side  floor in particular. Over time the location of the mufflers also tends to change as well as their physical shape. This too can cause issues. If your system is due for replacement then it is worth having it carefully designed in order to maximize the floor gap. Stainless steel rear pipes will prolong the systems life as these tend to be the first to rust out.    Richard Melbourne Posted by RichardWallach 17/07/2019 11:57:38