Friday, May 17, 2024 9:14:06 AM

Tubeless tyres?

6 years ago
#2619 Quote
Hi Can tubeless tyres be used without inner tubes on the standard Alvis TC21 steel wheels? I plan to fit radials, but would also be interested to know which brand of tyre people think are best? I see that Longstone Tyres website recommends Pirelli Cinturato, 185x15, but I seem to remember a post in the AOC magazine some time ago which suggested that these were not the best tyre for the car. Thanks Jon Posted by drdowhitt 27/08/2017 23:12:25
6 years ago
#2620 Quote
Jon,  I have used Hankook 185R15 tyres and have found them to be quite satisfactory. Expect more steering effort at parking speeds. With respect to whether you can go tubeless depends upon how well the rivets are sealed with paint. I powder coated my rims and there is no issue here. If you can get tubeless valves I can see no reason why you would still need tubes. Get the advise from your tyre supplier. At least if it works you won't have the sudden drama of a puncture which can be quite disconcerting.  Let us know how you what you decide.  Regards,  Richard Melbourne Posted by RichardWallach 29/08/2017 09:21:57
6 years ago
#2621 Quote
That's great news Richard! My plan is to get the wheels shotblasted and then powder coated. Since you have had success, and since I really want to avoid inner tubes, you have given me confidence to try the tubeless route. I have a great local tyre fitter so will get his advice when I ask him to remove the old (extremely perished) crossplies. Thanks for replying, Jon Posted by drdowhitt 29/08/2017 21:03:19
6 years ago
#2622 Quote
Jon,  Powder coating isn't statically attracted to the metal and therefore  may not reach all parts of the rim. The firm that did mine provided a small tin of pressure pack paint, however the job was good enough not to need it.  Richard Posted by RichardWallach 02/09/2017 11:01:53