Friday, May 17, 2024 9:56:30 AM

Lucas Generator rear lubricator - a conundrum

7 years ago
#2118 Quote
The rear bearing of the Lucas generator on the 3 Litre cars as fitted to the TA-TC series is a sintered bronze bush. This bush absorbs lubricant from the felt wick. Now for the conundrum; a Lucas publication of the late 40's titled - Maintenance Instructions for Lucas Electrical Equipment (no. 6758), states that the lubricator should be filled with petroleum jelly. This seems to make sense as the lubricants low melting point would allow it to refresh the bush. On the other hand the Manual of Instruction states that high melting point grease should be used. By definition high melting point means just that. Will the grease flow into the bronze bush?   I would appreciate the thoughts of others who are far more knowledgeable than this amateur.   Richard Melbourne Posted by RichardWallach 05/01/2017 07:21:59
6 years ago
#2119 Quote
Thanks for the reply Alan,  I would expect that the heat generated by both the engine and generator would prevent grease from hardening. I take your point that later model generators had an oil hole rather than a cylindrical lubricator. For the C45PV4 I prefer petroleum jelly as it will act a liquid when hot. To that end I have not had any squealing from the bearing so it must be doing some good.  Regards,  Richard Melbourne Posted by RichardWallach 03/10/2017 08:29:09